Note: This Support Document uses screenshots from an Android Tablet
If you are on the go looking to publish a post, this guide will show you how to do so using the WordPress app for Android devices. With the ability to snag pictures directly from your phone and a handy preview button, the app is built so you can publish post quickly and easily wherever you are.
What this article is about
This article is about the how to publish a post from the WordPress app for mobile devices.
Who might find this useful
Anyone who uses the WordPress app for Android devices or is thinking about doing so!
Note: If you have are using an iOS device, see these instructions.
Download & Open the WordPress App
- Click here to navigate to the WordPress app download page for iOS, Android, and Blackberry.
- Click “Download” next to Android
- Follow the instructions provided to download the app
- Open the application in your phone by selecting it! The WordPress application will have the WordPress logo on it (the big W!)
Log in to the WordPress App
- After you have opened the application, log into your WordPress account by entering in your Username and Password that you use for your site.
Add New Post
- Select the + sign with on the upper right of your screen
- You will then be brought to a screen where you can tap the respective text boxes to enter in the Title of your post and write the content of your post.
- Once you begin typing in the content section, you will find available a set of abbreviated options to style your content as you have on your computer:
- “We replaced the publish icon button with a contextual text button. Whether you’re saving a draft, publishing or scheduling a post, or updating one, this new button will display your action, depending on your current task.” Read More Here about Version 2.9
- When you select one of the toolbar items, you automatically will see the changes in your content
Adding Images on Your Phone to Your Post
- To add an image to your phone, tap the Landscape looking icon on the upper right hand side of your keyboard.
- After clicking the Landscape icon, you will be taken to a page where you can select where to choose the image from on your phone.
- Select the image by tapping it and then simply add it into your post.
- After the image has been added, you will then be able to see the image in your post and edit the image directly by clicking on the Pencil icon in the lower right of the image. You can then edit the size by dragging the width bar and change the alignment and caption.
Configuring Post Settings
- Tap the back button on your Android device to hide the keyboard.
- From there, tap Post Settings in the lower left hand part of your screen.
- You will then be taken to a screen where you can edit the settings of your post in the same way you would be able to on your computer. Included in these settings are the ability to change the Status and Post Format as well as to define Categories and Tags. More advanced options including password protected posts and delayed posting are also available.
Publish Your Post & Further Resources
- Once you have finalized your content, tap Publish in the upper right hand corner! By pressing Publish, your post immediately be live on your site for your visitors to see.
- After you have published your post, you will be brought back to a screen of your most recent posts.
Check out the full WordPress.org Support Document on Best Practices when Writing a Post. Some important takeaways:
- Use Paragraphs
- Use Headings
- Spell Check and Proof
- Think Before You Post
- Write Frequently
- Consider Your Readers
- Use Pictures and Videos
- Save Your Posts