Pardon the interruption from my usual ramblings… I have a work related post! As part of my efforts with the Full Site Editing outreach group, I’ve been refining my particular setup out of excitement around future testing. This week, I was chatting with a new WordPress contributor when they asked for more information about my particular current setup. After recording a quick video, I realized this might be helpful for others so thought I’d document what I have in place with a short video. Three quick notes:
- All of this is done on a development site not in production which is what I recommend while testing this. This is in beta for a reason!
- If you are using Gutenberg 9.3, the full site editing experience will automatically be enabled when using full site editing themes. This lessens the steps you need to take to get started with testing!
- I’d recommend testing the following aspects right now: creating template parts, navigation between template parts/posts/pages, exploring global styles, creating a menu using the Navigation Block, using the Query Block, and more. You can see the milestones for Full Site Editing here for more inspiration.
Here are the links I referenced in the video to help you get started:
- Instructions for setting up a nightly Gutenberg release. Major props to Birgit for making this happen.
- The GitHub updater plugin.
- The link to the Gutenberg repo to report issues.
- Instructions and links for using the Twenty Twenty-One Block Based Theme.
- BONUS: the WordPress Beta Tester Plugin for getting the latest for core WordPress releases. I also use this on my test site but didn’t mention it in the video.
If you choose to start taking full site editing for a spin, I welcome you to join the #fse-outreach-experiment slack channel in the WordPress.org slack (sign up here). The program isn’t underway just yet but contributors around the world are working hard to make it happen and feedback is always welcome.
One response to “My setup for testing the latest & greatest for Full Site Editing”
[…] My setup for testing the latest & greatest for Full Site Editing […]